Women and HIVWomen and HIV

my pregnant wife tested negative am i ?

dear dr. im in a hi risk category to be positive, and didn't get tested, but my wife got a negative answer for blood pregnency test. We are together 2+ years and thers no risk for the last 6 months, is it mostly sure that im negative too? hope to get your reply thanks

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

No, your partner's negative result does not necessarily mean that you are uninfected. The only way to know for sure about your infection status is for you to be tested. This is particularly important at this time because if you are infected and pass the virus to your wife during her pregnancy, the baby might also become infected.

Dr. Jackson
Pregnancy and counts