Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Nelfinavir dosing in baby

Dear Dr. Katherine,

Back on November 20, 2001, you recommended a Nelfinavir dosing of 55-65 mg/kg/dose given every 12 hours for young infants. Do you still recommend this dosing?

Baby is now 8 months old, recieving AZT (240mg/m2), 3TC (4mg/kg) and Nelfinavir (~60mg/kg) every 12 hours for all. Regimine is well tolerated.

Thank you for any more advice.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Yes, that is the recommended dose range for nelfinavir in this age group. It is usually well-tolerated and I'm happy to hear that your baby is tolerating it well. My only other advice would be to follow HIV RNA levels every 3 months or so to be sure that this regimen is continuing to control the virus.

Can HPV spread to your breasts and infect breastfeeding children?
A healthy baby.