Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AZT (Retrovir) & Pregnancy How to know if your resistient to AZT
May 31, 2002

In 1988 I had a child. 3 months later I was informed her father tested positive. So did I. The baby did not. 1990 - 1991 I took AZT (Retrovir) 1 pill 5 x a day. Then stopped taking it. In 1993 I became pregnant again. Started taking AZT again through the pregnancy and for about 3 months after. Second baby not positive. In 2000 I was put on a coctail that does not include AZT. The docotor said "I am probably resistient to it." He did not do any testing to that effect though. The virus is now undetectable. We are considering having another baby. Everything I read strongly suggests I use AZT during and after the pregnancy. How do I determine if I can still take it? Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The risk of transmitting HIV to your infant is directly linked to your viral load; if your viral load is less than 50 copies/ml your risk is less than 1%; the therapy that reduces your viral load to less than 50 can include many different drugs and need not include AZT.JLS.

Previous
Months old baby...could she be infected?
Next
Can HPV spread to your breasts and infect breastfeeding children?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.