Women and HIVWomen and HIV

AZT (Retrovir) & Pregnancy How to know if your resistient to AZT

In 1988 I had a child. 3 months later I was informed her father tested positive. So did I. The baby did not. 1990 - 1991 I took AZT (Retrovir) 1 pill 5 x a day. Then stopped taking it. In 1993 I became pregnant again. Started taking AZT again through the pregnancy and for about 3 months after. Second baby not positive. In 2000 I was put on a coctail that does not include AZT. The docotor said "I am probably resistient to it." He did not do any testing to that effect though. The virus is now undetectable. We are considering having another baby. Everything I read strongly suggests I use AZT during and after the pregnancy. How do I determine if I can still take it? Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The risk of transmitting HIV to your infant is directly linked to your viral load; if your viral load is less than 50 copies/ml your risk is less than 1%; the therapy that reduces your viral load to less than 50 can include many different drugs and need not include AZT.JLS.

Months old baby...could she be infected?
Can HPV spread to your breasts and infect breastfeeding children?