Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Months old baby...could she be infected?

Dear Dr, I was recently diagnosed as positive and am concern that one of my baby niece might have got infected by me. A week after my exposure (that when I got infected), I was accidentally scratched by my niece. Right after that (less than a minute), she places her finger into her mouth. The scratch did result in bleeding. About 10 days later, she fell ill, high fever for about 5 days and ended with rash. In between the 5 days, her parents brought her to the paeditrician and was told by them that she had viral infection and could have caught it from other children. The doc did mentioned that the viral load was quite high (not sure what test was run on her). The symptons are in line with Roseola but the doc did not confirm that. I'm scared to death now and am not sure what to do. I certainly wouldnt want to reveal my positive status and am staying away from everyone . By the way, she's 7 months old. My questions now would be: 1. What is the likelihood of a baby being infected in this way? 2. Do babies show the same symptoms during ARS as adults (flu/mono with rash?) 3. What other symptons that would likely to show up? such as slow growth? Currently she seems quite active and lively. 4. Will babies lymph nodes get swollen like adult if they have been infected? (I have checked hers and doesnt seems to have any swollen nodes after 3 months). 5. Is it possible that my high viral load could have triggered her 'Roseola'infection (through saliva)? 6. Anything else that I can continue to observe within these few months to see whether she's not being infected? 7. Does other viral infection (beside HIV)will result in high viral load in babies/adults? I'm begging you for answers as I'm totally going crazy thinking of this. I do not want anything to happen to her and neither I want to reveal my positive status. Please help.

Regards G,PBM

Response from Dr. Sullivan

It is highly unlikely she is infected; infants infected with HIV do have chronically enlarged lymph nodes.

husband positive, wife negative, baby wanted
AZT (Retrovir) & Pregnancy How to know if your resistient to AZT