Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Months old baby...could she be infected?
May 31, 2002

Dear Dr, I was recently diagnosed as positive and am concern that one of my baby niece might have got infected by me. A week after my exposure (that when I got infected), I was accidentally scratched by my niece. Right after that (less than a minute), she places her finger into her mouth. The scratch did result in bleeding. About 10 days later, she fell ill, high fever for about 5 days and ended with rash. In between the 5 days, her parents brought her to the paeditrician and was told by them that she had viral infection and could have caught it from other children. The doc did mentioned that the viral load was quite high (not sure what test was run on her). The symptons are in line with Roseola but the doc did not confirm that. I'm scared to death now and am not sure what to do. I certainly wouldnt want to reveal my positive status and am staying away from everyone . By the way, she's 7 months old. My questions now would be: 1. What is the likelihood of a baby being infected in this way? 2. Do babies show the same symptoms during ARS as adults (flu/mono with rash?) 3. What other symptons that would likely to show up? such as slow growth? Currently she seems quite active and lively. 4. Will babies lymph nodes get swollen like adult if they have been infected? (I have checked hers and doesnt seems to have any swollen nodes after 3 months). 5. Is it possible that my high viral load could have triggered her 'Roseola'infection (through saliva)? 6. Anything else that I can continue to observe within these few months to see whether she's not being infected? 7. Does other viral infection (beside HIV)will result in high viral load in babies/adults? I'm begging you for answers as I'm totally going crazy thinking of this. I do not want anything to happen to her and neither I want to reveal my positive status. Please help.

Regards G,PBM

Response from Dr. Sullivan

It is highly unlikely she is infected; infants infected with HIV do have chronically enlarged lymph nodes.

Previous
husband positive, wife negative, baby wanted
Next
AZT (Retrovir) & Pregnancy How to know if your resistient to AZT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.