Women and HIVWomen and HIV

advice please

hello doc me and my husbund botha are hiv postive. now we want a child. can we have a normal child . please guide us

Response from Dr. Aberg

By normal, I am assuming you are asking if you can have a HIV negative baby. Absolutely. The risk of transmitting HIV to a baby varies between 25-40% depending upon the mother's HIV viral load, CD4 count, duration of ruptured membranes, mode of delivery and probably many other host factors. The risk of transmission has been reported to be less than 1 percent if the mother's HIV viral load is undetectable (less than 40 copies/ml) during delivery. You should go see an OB/GYN who has HIV experience and have counselling prior to getting pregnant. S/he can help you with your decision and best ways ways to avoid transmission to your baby.

Another KS question
Out of Sync Lymph Node