Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Another KS question

I read in an earlier post of yours that KS is usually raised, not flat. So much other reading I've done states the opposite. Can you clear up this confusion? What other condition could cause a flat, purplish area on skin? Also, do you think a KS lesion would darken when exposed to heat or hot water? Thanks a lot, Dr. Aberg-we're lucky to have you on this forum.

Response from Dr. Aberg

I think you need to see a dermatologist. KS lesions usually flatten out with treatment. They may be flat or appear flat but most often when you rub your finger lightly over them, they are raised. You seem to be fixated on this question and if you have a lesion, you should have it examined. If you recall, I said I would be much more worried about melanoma if you have a lesion that has grown or changed color. I don't know what to make of a lesion that changes color when exposed to heat except possibly you have a angioma or other vascular abnormality. I cannot comment on what a lesion is without seeing it. There are lots of skin lesions, the vast majority do not cause us any problems.

affraid to ask physician, who is my friend, please reply
advice please