Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another KS question
May 11, 2002

I read in an earlier post of yours that KS is usually raised, not flat. So much other reading I've done states the opposite. Can you clear up this confusion? What other condition could cause a flat, purplish area on skin? Also, do you think a KS lesion would darken when exposed to heat or hot water? Thanks a lot, Dr. Aberg-we're lucky to have you on this forum.

Response from Dr. Aberg

I think you need to see a dermatologist. KS lesions usually flatten out with treatment. They may be flat or appear flat but most often when you rub your finger lightly over them, they are raised. You seem to be fixated on this question and if you have a lesion, you should have it examined. If you recall, I said I would be much more worried about melanoma if you have a lesion that has grown or changed color. I don't know what to make of a lesion that changes color when exposed to heat except possibly you have a angioma or other vascular abnormality. I cannot comment on what a lesion is without seeing it. There are lots of skin lesions, the vast majority do not cause us any problems.

Previous
affraid to ask physician, who is my friend, please reply
Next
advice please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.