Women and HIVWomen and HIV

STOCRIN Treatment and PREGNANCY

I have started my HIV treatment for 3 months. My viral load was 58000 and my CD 4 395. I am treated with COMBIVIR AND STOCRIN. Is it a risk to decide pregnancy under this treatment, or is it possible? I do not want to expose a child to any risk, so I would like to be sure that if my viral load gets down, I could have a hope of being pregnant without problem. I appreciate your answer, as this is a matter that gaves me great anxiety. thank you again.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Stocrin (Sustiva, Efavirenz, EFV) has been shown to cause birth defects in monkeys and is not recommended for use in women who are pregnant. Most birth defects occur ealy in the pregnancy so potentially the most dangerous time to be taking EFV during pregnancy is durng conception and the first trimester. If you are considering pregnancy, I suggest you either stop antiretroviral medications now and restart when you are 12-14 weeks pregnant OR change the EFV to either Viramune (nevirapine, NVP) or one of the protease inhibitors.

women to women
affraid to ask physician, who is my friend, please reply