Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

women to women
May 11, 2002

dear doctor please help me i'm a mother since 2 month now. march 2001 i had a sexual contact with my girlfired which is hiv +. i thought that what we are doing is safe. it was slight kissing, she performedoral sex on me a little and i fingered her a little but not deep only surface. that was it. than on june 2001 i got pregnant by my husband which does not know wht i have done. when i was 8 months pregnant i had itchy rash on my belly. my dic told me that it could be reaction on hormons. laer i had a c- cut. now is 2 months after c - cut and i have breast inflamation and enlarged limph under my arm which was painfull. and what worry mie my sed ate is 115. i always had as i remember only high sed rate 20 - 40, but not that high. i'm afraid to go tested i live in a very small village please tell me if i could get hiv from her after what we have done? and the symptoms are they hiv related. please i will be gratefull.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Women who have sex with women can transmit STD's and HIV. HIV may be transmitted by oral sex especially during menses or if there is any inflammation present such as open lesions. My guess is that your risk is very low but it is not zero. I would recommend that you get tested as it will answer your concerns instead of driving yourself crazy wondering if you are HIV positive.

I don't know why you keep getting sed rates done. Do you hvae a connective tissue disase? Sed rates are not very helpful markers unless someone is following a specific disease response. I do not believe that any of your complaints are related to HIV. I do not know what your belly rash was, but breast inflammation with a swolen lymph node may be secondary to mastitis. Up to 3% of nursing moms will develop a staph infection of the breast. This may require antibiotics and sometimes drainage. Some moms develop an inflammatory reaction which is related to the milk clogging in the ducts. This is releived by warm compressors. You should see your doctor to make sure you do not have an infection. This is not related to HIV.

Previous
Reponse to: Who Can I Ask?
Next
STOCRIN Treatment and PREGNANCY

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.