Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reponse to: Who Can I Ask?
May 8, 2002

I just wanted to respond to the recently posted question "Who Can I Ask?"

I, too, am a professional woman, infected for 11 years after being raped by a man with AIDS. Currently have a viral load of 90,000+ and a t-cell count of around 350 and am on a 3 drug regimen.

At times I have felt very isolated and have found it difficult to navigate a health care system designed for men or the uninsured. But I had to keep pushing until I found the support I needed. I now see a female physician in a public clinic that specializes in women and children. The relationship I have with my physician is strong and crucial to my drug compliance and continuing recovery.

I, too, had difficulty with the focus of local support groups. So I started my own! With the help of my church and an ASO, we began a support group of Christian, professional HIV+ women. There are not many of us, but the support we give each other has been a lifesaver!

Don't give up on finding support. I resisted case management for a long time because I know how to navigate the system. But it was my case manager who was able to connect me with other like-minded women.

Sorry to be "preachy", but felt I needed to respond.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Thank you for responding. Congratulations on starting a support group. Peer support is extremely helpful. Faith-based programs have been very succesful for many diseases as well as HIV. Although I frequently tell my own patients to look into services available at their church, I failed to mention such in my previous response. No need to apologize for being "preachy". I appreciate your comments and your suggestion may be someone else's lifesaver!

Previous
What treatment shouldd I take?
Next
women to women

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.