Women and HIVWomen and HIV

STI for kids

My son (age 10) has been positive since birth. Done well on meds. Viral load undetectable, latest CD4 1100. I believe the lowest his CD4 was around 800-1000. He wants to go to a 3 week camp this summer. Meds compliance would be impossible. Even if I would trust him to take his meds (he's on a twice a day regime of norvir, epivir and zerit,) there is the whole privacy issue. I feel uncomfortable giving the meds to a nurse to be administered. So-here's the question: should we consider discontinuing the meds for three weeks?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Ideally, we would like treatment to remain uninterupted; if this is not possible you should be able to stop therapy for three weeks and resume therapy with the same medications without a high risk for selection of resistant virus. JLS.

Gastrostomy
What treatment shouldd I take?