Women and HIVWomen and HIV

MENIGITIS AND PREGNANCY

My daughter is 4 months old, but when I was pregnant with her 3 months I had to be hospitalized for 3 weeks for a lot of symptoms. One was sensitivity to light, stiff neck, vomiting, and fever of 104.3. They tested me for everything and told me it was viral menegitis but my test for viral and bacterial were negative. Could this be Hiv or Aids. Or what they said, something viral?

Response from Dr. Aberg

Acute HIV (initial infection) can present as meningitis. I am not sure why you are worried that the meningitis you had when you were pregnant is HIV. Meningitis simply means you had inflammation in the lining surrounding the central nervous system. There are many causes of meningitis. The most common are either bacterial or viral. Also, some types of medicines (even ibuprofen) can cause meningitis. I suggest you talk with your doctor to learn more about the type of meningitis you had. If for some reason, you are concerned that this may have been secondary to HIV, you could get a HIV blood test now. The meningitis you had was ten months ago. If your HIV test is negative, then you can be assured that the meningitis was not from HIV. Most likely you had a common viral meningitis.

SKIN CARE FOR WOMEN
Thanks a million