Women and HIVWomen and HIV

SKIN CARE FOR WOMEN

I`m HIV+ and I`m having problems with my skin.In my face it`s very dry and flaky around my hairline and jaw line.The rest of my face looks as if I have a rash.there are dry patches here and there all my body.I`m getting married soon, how can I clear this up? Should I try using something like cotisone 10.I`m currently not taking any meds.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Seborrheic dermatitis is a dry, flaky, often reddish skin condition that typically affects the scalp and face and is very common in HIV. The treatment of choice is 1% hydrocortisone. Sometimes adding clotrimazole cream helps. Clotrimazole is an antifungal but works in this case as an anti-inflammatory agent. After the dermatitis has cleared, you can usually use the hydrocortisone cream twice a week to keep it under control. Depending on what your CD4 count and viral load are, you may want to consider starting antiretroviral therapy to see if suppressing your viral load and increasing your CD4 count improves your dermatitis.

Congratulations. I wish you a happy marriage!

pubic hair ulcer
MENIGITIS AND PREGNANCY