Women and HIVWomen and HIV

having babies when one is postive and one is not

My daughter married a man who is HIV positive that to me is true love. They want to have children, is there any safe way for them to parent children together? You do not have unprotected sex and he would not ever expose her to the virus!

Response from Dr. Aberg

This is harder than the other way around (see my previous answer to when the women is positive but the husband is negative). Your daughter will be at risk of acquiring HIV should they choose to have his biological baby. There are other options including adoption or artificial insemination with a HIV negative donor. He can reduce his risk of transmitting HIV to her by taking antiretroviral therapy and reducing the amount of HIV in his blood and semen. There have been some centers doing studies combining a special sperm washing procedure followed by in-vitro fertilization but this is very expensive and unknown if it will work to reduce transmission. I wish them luck in their decision. They truly need your support and understanding.

Kids out of woods???
Sperm Washing?