Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Kids out of woods???

I have just been diagnosed with AIDS with cd4 level of 30 and vl of 100,000. I am not sure when I acquired the virus exactly. My children, 8 and 4 have tested negative. Is it safe to assume that I contracted the virus within the last 4 years since my children are negative? Also, with my counts the way they are, is this a rather fast progression if I have in fact contracted the virus after the birth of my last child? Do you think my kids need additional testing? Is there any way I could have contracted the virus before they were born and they just didn't get the virus?

Response from Dr. Aberg

I suspect that you have had HIV for at least 5 years but HIV can be quite progressive in some individuals. The risk of transmitting HIV to a baby is not 100 percent so the fact that neither one of your children has HIV doesn't surprise me nor does it help me figure out when you acquired HIV. I think when and who you acquired HIV from at this point is irrelevant. I know it is really frustrating not to know but dwelling on this only hurts your mental health. If your children are HIV negative now, there is no reason to re-test them. You did not transmit HIV to either one of them.

I hope that you are in care. There are many therapies available and hopefully your CD4 count will come up and your HIV viral load will become undetectable soon. Take care.

LESS THAN 1 ?
having babies when one is postive and one is not