Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Aberg Is This Correct?
Apr 7, 2002

I was reading through your answers to questions on this site and noticed where you answered a question about the odds of HIV infection in hetrosexual cases. The individual said the odds of infection were about 1:10,000. Is this true? I though the risk for penile/vaginal intercourse were lower than that like 1:500 or something like that? If this is true could you tell me what the approximate risk for oral sexual transmission is from Male to fmeale and female to female? This is an important question to me I would greatly appreciate your help clearing this up. Thank you

Response from Dr. Aberg

I worry about anyone using statistics because I don't think HIV is something that anyone should be playing like a lottery game. HIV is a serious, life threatening disease. It doesn't matter what the odds are if you are the one that gets infected. The other thing is to remember that there are many co-factors such as presence of another sexually transmitted disease, presence of trauma, menses, etc that may increase the risk of transmission. One of my previous messages was in response to a study released that seemed to get overplayed in the news. I am concerned that people could misinterpret some of the findings and downplay the role of safer sex practices. As I have said in my previous messages, I do not like using statistics. If you are realliy interested in statistics, I suggest you go the the CDC web site regarding who should be tested. CDC web site

Previous
OVERWEIGHT OR LIPO
Next
planning to get pregnant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.