Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Dr Aberg Is This Correct?

I was reading through your answers to questions on this site and noticed where you answered a question about the odds of HIV infection in hetrosexual cases. The individual said the odds of infection were about 1:10,000. Is this true? I though the risk for penile/vaginal intercourse were lower than that like 1:500 or something like that? If this is true could you tell me what the approximate risk for oral sexual transmission is from Male to fmeale and female to female? This is an important question to me I would greatly appreciate your help clearing this up. Thank you

Response from Dr. Aberg

I worry about anyone using statistics because I don't think HIV is something that anyone should be playing like a lottery game. HIV is a serious, life threatening disease. It doesn't matter what the odds are if you are the one that gets infected. The other thing is to remember that there are many co-factors such as presence of another sexually transmitted disease, presence of trauma, menses, etc that may increase the risk of transmission. One of my previous messages was in response to a study released that seemed to get overplayed in the news. I am concerned that people could misinterpret some of the findings and downplay the role of safer sex practices. As I have said in my previous messages, I do not like using statistics. If you are realliy interested in statistics, I suggest you go the the CDC web site regarding who should be tested. CDC web site

OVERWEIGHT OR LIPO
planning to get pregnant