Women and HIVWomen and HIV

OVERWEIGHT OR LIPO

i'VE BEEN INFECTED FOR ELEVEN YEARS AND HAVE BEEN ON ZERIT AND EPIVIR FOR SIX YEARS. I HAVE A HUMP ON LOWER BACK OF MY NECK. MY EXTREMITIES AREN'T SKINNY NOR IS MY FACE. MY STOMACH AND ARMS ARE FAT AS WELL. I'D LIKE TO THING THATS BECAUSE I'M OVERWEIGHT BUT I COULD HAVE LIPODYSTROPHY. WHAT DO YOU THINK? MY DOCTOR HASN'T DIAGNOSED ME.SHE SAYS I MIGHT GET RID OF THE HUMP IF I LOSE WEIGHT.

Response from Dr. Aberg

It is hard for me to evaluate without seeing you. Some people do get a buffalo hump (fat pad on back of neck, upper back)associated with the medications without getting thin extremities or facial changes. Lipodystrohy (fat redrsitribution) can be difficult to diagnose by looking at someone. Unfortunately, we do not have any proven treatments for fat accumulation or fat wasting. I have had some patients undergo surgery to remove the fat from their back because it was either painful or limited their movement. There are several studies looking at switching HIV medications or stopping them to see if the fat disturbances reverse but to date, these studies have not shown significant improvements. You should see someone who is experienced with lipodystrophy if your doctor is not.

Treatment
Dr Aberg Is This Correct?