Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could an HIV related rash show up within days?
Mar 12, 2002

Dear Judith. PLEASE HELP ME. I'm sorry but this will be a long question. But very important. I was sexually active with 2 males in Oct.2001 between Oct.14 & 23. On the 24 after having sex with the second partner I developed a rash in my genital area which later spread to my thighs, stomach, and arms. I had used condoms with BOTH males but now suspect that one of them may have taken the condom off without my knowledge. My gynocologist thought the rash (pimple like) was a yeast infection but when it spread, referred my to my regualar doctor who referred me to a dermatologist. Both the gyno and regualar doc said HIV was unlikely. In the middle of Nov.-Mid Dec. I had UNprotected sex with one of the same males (very dumb). I had gone to my gynocologist again in Jan. and requested HIV testing..it came back negative. It wasn't until this time that I also went to the dermatologist for the 1st time. He said I had folliculitis and eczema (in my armpits). The medication cleared up alot of the infection but I did not finish it all and I still have a little rash on my arms and some on my stomach but its A LOT better . I am also worried because my 3 yr old has the same "rash" in her genital/buttock area and has since about the time I got it. I've taken her to 3 doctors and they said yeast infection and then said folliculitis. She also took the same medication as me, didn't finish all of it and still has a little of the rash. :( She was NEVER around the men I was sexually active with though so I am confused about how both of us could have this. I did notice some of the same pimple like sores on one of the males (the one I had unprotected with in Nov.-Dec) but I aksed my dermatologist if this could be passed from person to person and he said "NO. But, it is hereditery." I am not active with either males. I have also been having headaches throughout the day for a month, feeling hot and fatigued. Had a sore throat for a week also (this past week) and I remember dry heaving on Christmas.

I am wondering, is it possible to develop a rash within a couple weeks of exposure to HIV? Could I have passed hiv to my child (if I have it) while using the bathroom together (helping her wipe herself after wiping myself)? How soon do HIV symptoms usually appear and If I did contract HIV in Oct. or Nov. Would it have shown in my early Jan. blood test? Would it show now if I restesy? I am so scared. I am 18 years old...not ready to die.

Response from Dr. Aberg

http://www.cnn.com swfasf

Previous
1 in 10,000
Next
Testing While Pregnant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.