|conception- where the father is HIV+ and the mother HIV neg.
Feb 17, 2002
I work as an HIV counsellor in the UK and have two pairs of sero-discordant would-be parents. Although sperm washing is available here- the cost is ,for most people, prohibitive. These couples are desperate to have children of their own and I am aware that they do , from time to time, have unprotected sex. Being realistic about their situation, how might it be possible to reduce the risks to the woman as far as is humanly achievable. Thanks.
Response from Dr. Aberg
The best alternative is to have artificial insemination by a HIV negative donor. If the couple really want to have a baby, this is what I suggest.
1. The man should be on antiretroviral therapy and have an undetectable viral load in is blood. It would be nice to know if his seminal fluid was undetectable but obviously, this is still investigational.
2. Have the couple see someone who is competent at teaching the reproductive cycle so that the woman can take her temperature, etc to determine when she is ovulating. There are also over the counter kits which help time ovulation. Then have the couple have unprotected sex or artificial insemination only at that time. The couple must understand there is still a risk of the woman acquiring HIV regardless of the best intentions.
3. Some investigators have talked about the possibility of giving a short course of antiretroviral therapy to the woman as a prophylaxis (to prevent acquisition of HIV). There is no data on this and one should consider all risks of giving antiretroviral therapy to someone to prevent transmission. I am not recommending this. There are too many unanswered questions with this approach. I bring it up because I have heard of couples doing this.
Breast Lump; what will cancer treatment do to my immune system?
Last on Women and Sex Toys...
- Can You Get Hiv By Having Sex With Your Mother?
- Surrogate Mother With Hiv
- Muscle Ache After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Cunilingus Worried I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.