Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Might be pregnant...

I am 26 and was diagnosed +ive last Sept. I have not seen a doctor about it since and have no idea what my numbers are or anything. I am not on any medication.

2 days ago I had unprotected sex with a man and am worried that i might become pregnant. Mainly because I do not know what the transmission rate from mother to child is or what the effects would be on my health if I did carry a baby.

I am also worried that my partner may have been infected although neither of us have any sores or anything.

Also, having read some of the messages I am worried, because I live in the UK and I am concerned about the legal aspects. I did not set out to infect him. I didn't even mean to have sex with him.

I am scared and confused and I don't know what to do...

Response from Dr. Aberg

First things first!!

1. You need to see a clinician to find out the status of your disease. You do need to know what your T-cell count is and what your viral load is. Your provider needs to know about you and if you are at risk of getting any kind of infections. You need to stay in the best health possible so see someone as soon as possible especially if you may be pregnant.

2. Pregnancy. It may still be too early and one would need to be done if you miss your next period. It depends on the type of pregnancy test but some may become positive after 2 weeks but should be repeated later if it is negative. The risk of transmitting HIV to your baby is anywhere from 15-45% (not on any HIV medications). This risk can be as low as less than 1 percent if your HIV viral load (amount of virus in your blood) is undetectable (less than 40 copies/ml). If you are pregnant, you should start HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) around week 12 if you choose to continue the pregnancy.

3. Yes, you do have a moral and legal responsibility to tell your partner you have HIV. He needs to get tested. This is not a time to be playing a lottery. If you are the one that becomes positive, it does not matter what the odds are.

Info. on KS and women
Need understanding