Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Info. on KS and women

Dear Dr. Aberg,

Thanks for your time. I need to know about women and KS. I have a mark that loses color when pressed-reddish, flat, round. I have read that KS is extremely rare-even in HIV+ women. Can KS look scaly or shiny? Please help-I'm so anxious that I can't sleep at night. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Kaposi's sarcoma is uncommon in women but can occur. The lesions typically do not blanch (lose color when pressed). They usually start out pink to red and darken over time. They are usually raised not flat. They may flatten out with treatment including antiretrovial medications. What you are describing does not sound like KS. Scaly and shiny lesions are more consistent with excema or psoriasis. But any new skin lesion or rash should be examined by a clinician to make sure it isn't an infection or skin cancer plus you can get treatment for whatever it is and you will probably feel better.

Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome
Might be pregnant...