Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Breast swelling and Trizivir

My breast are sore and swelling, I wanted to know if that is a normal side effect from taking trizivir. Or is it something I should go to my doctor about.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Breast enlargement is reported and may be associated with any of the antiretrovirals. You may be more familiar with the term lipodystrophy which is used to define conditions of fat accumulation and also fat wasting. Most of us prefer to use the term lipoatrophy when referring directly to fat loss only. The breast enlargement is perplexing. It is unclear what causes this. Many women have complained of pain especially in the shoulders and upper back due to the excessive weight strain. Unfortunately, there are no effective treatments at this time. Some women have undergone breast reduction surgery but we do not know if the results will last or if breast enlargement will recur. Nevertheless, you should see your physician so s/he can examine you to confirm that this is what you have.

pregnancy and testing
Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome