Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WHAT ARE THE FACTS
Jan 26, 2002

Hi My sister has just been diagnosed as H.I.V. AFTER BEING SEVERLEY SHOCKED BY THIS, I THINK SHE HAS TAKEN IN SOME WRONG FACTS. SHE SEEMS TO THINK THAT HIV IS ONLY ONE IN A MILLION CHANCE THAT IT CAN BE PASSED FROM WOMAN TO MAN, PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION A.S.A.P WE HAVE HAD A LITTLE DEBATE OVER THIS. I THINK SHE IS WRONG AND AM VERY CONCERNED ABOUT HER WELFARE AND AFFAIRS.

THANK YOU

Response from Dr. Aberg

It is much less than one in a million. There have been various reports with most stating somewhere between 1 in 1000 to 10,000 per contact. There is also one study done in the developing world which estimates a chance of 1 out of 350. Certain conditions may result in higher risk of transmission such as presence of open wounds or sores, amount of HIV in the genital secretions, presence of menses, etc. Regardless, no one should transmit HIV knowingly to another person. In fact, it may be against the law but I do not know what the laws in the UK are. Your sister should talk to a counselor to help her accept her diagnosis and to get the care she needs. She needs to learn ways to prevent transmission of HIV to others.

Thanks for supporting her. This is a tough time and she will need your continued support!

Previous
Just started meds, any idea how long they'll work?
Next
What's the possibilty?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.