Women and HIVWomen and HIV

WHAT ARE THE FACTS

Hi My sister has just been diagnosed as H.I.V. AFTER BEING SEVERLEY SHOCKED BY THIS, I THINK SHE HAS TAKEN IN SOME WRONG FACTS. SHE SEEMS TO THINK THAT HIV IS ONLY ONE IN A MILLION CHANCE THAT IT CAN BE PASSED FROM WOMAN TO MAN, PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION A.S.A.P WE HAVE HAD A LITTLE DEBATE OVER THIS. I THINK SHE IS WRONG AND AM VERY CONCERNED ABOUT HER WELFARE AND AFFAIRS.

THANK YOU

Response from Dr. Aberg

It is much less than one in a million. There have been various reports with most stating somewhere between 1 in 1000 to 10,000 per contact. There is also one study done in the developing world which estimates a chance of 1 out of 350. Certain conditions may result in higher risk of transmission such as presence of open wounds or sores, amount of HIV in the genital secretions, presence of menses, etc. Regardless, no one should transmit HIV knowingly to another person. In fact, it may be against the law but I do not know what the laws in the UK are. Your sister should talk to a counselor to help her accept her diagnosis and to get the care she needs. She needs to learn ways to prevent transmission of HIV to others.

Thanks for supporting her. This is a tough time and she will need your continued support!

Just started meds, any idea how long they'll work?
What's the possibilty?