Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Just started meds, any idea how long they'll work?

Just tested positive last month, vl 32000 (taken a few days after a flu shot) cd4 82 - other than sometimes not having much energy to do stuff on weekends after working all week have been asymptomatic. Started combivir & sustiva about a week ago, on dapsone too. How long can I expect suppression? Other than being 1-1/2 hours late taking a pill when I overslept have been taking them pretty close to on schedule. How long have people sustained suppression on this combition?

It seems to me that with the drugs out currently and having a virus that shows no drug resistance, there should be combinations to keep it under control for years --how long do you think existing therapies will work for me? KW

Response from Dr. Aberg

That's a good question and one we still do not know. The durability (how long it will last) is dependent on many factors. One of the most important factors is adherence (taking your medications). The more you miss, the more likely the virus will mutate, form resistance and be out of control. Remember, we can not fully eradicate the virus but as you say, it can be kept suppressed. I know individuals who have been suppressed for more than five years on the same regimen. No one can tell you how long you will be suppressed but if you can continue to do the great job you are doing now at taking your medicines all the time, it may work for years.

Early menopause?
WHAT ARE THE FACTS