The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV positive birth control options
Jan 19, 2002

I'm currently taking Combivir, Viracept and Viramune. I've been advised that birth control pills affect the effectiveness of HAART, and that HAART affects the effectiveness of birth control pills. Is this accurate? Are there no other options for birth control than barrier methods? What about Norplant or Depo Provera?

Response from Dr. Aberg

It is true that all types of birth control medication including Norplant and Depo-Provera may not be as effective when taken with antiretroviral therapy so it is recommended that you use 2 methods of birth control. The reverse interaction is not as significant. Many of my patients prefer to use Depo-Provera and it does not appear to interact with their HIV meds. But you should be using a barrier method regardless of using birth control medications. Remember that even if your viral load in your blood is undetectable, it is not gone. You could also have HIV in your genital secretions regardless of what your blood tests show. You should not be putting anyone else at risk of acquiring HIV from you so I recommend that you use barrier methods at all times. Also, you do not want to get a sexually transmitted disease from someone so you should practice safer sex. Another potential concern is that even though you already have HIV, you could acquire a different strain which may have mutations leading to drug resistance. Lots to think about. Use a barrier method!

Home Tests
Early menopause?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint