Women and HIVWomen and HIV

if i continue same meds.

known+ve 3yrs,on azt300bid,nevirapine200bid,for last8 months,viral load is <50/mlnow,if i continue same meds,should the virus be under control,as any period of time,advise

Response from Dr. Aberg

You are not on a standard treatment. Most providers would prescribe a more potent regimen besides just AZT and nevirapine such as another nucleoside (3TC, DDI, abacavir) or tenofovir or a protease inhibitor. I am not sure why you are only on AZT and nevirapine. Even before the non-nucleosides and protease inhibitors, there were some people who achieved an undetectable viral load on just 2 nucleosides for a prolonged period. No one can tell you how long this regimen will work. If you remain fully adherent to your medications (meaning never missing a dose), this therapy may work for more than 2 years. Then again it may not work but a few months more.

It is your gamble. One option would be to continue and wait until you fail recognizing that you most likely will develop nevirapine resistance that will confer resistance to all the current non-nucleosides. The other would be to intensify, such as adding tenofovir or abacavir to your current meds. Personally, that is what I would do but without knowing all your history including a previous genotype if done, I cannot really say what is best for you.

women specific infections
Home Tests