Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

women specific infections
Jan 9, 2002

i have read several of your responses about yeast infections in women with HIV. i concern myself with this issue, because i have recurrent BV or yeast throughout a year or so, then it goes away, but only to return. i have had negative hiv tests (elisa HIV 1&2, and a p24 antigen..blood drive test). A total of 4 negative HIV tests(3 years ago). Since the negative tests my only risk is open mouth kissing (boring sex life, eh?), and i have been told by many that this is not a risk worhty of testing. I have also had normal paps, one just 2 months ago. my concern is that whenever i open a package of monistat the insert reminds me that women with chronic or recurrent infections should consider infection with HIV as being a possible cause. is there a correlation, or like some of your posts...is there not such a correlation? in your opinion, does a situation like mine need further investigation into the possibility of being HIV positive from kissing? the man i kissed is aware of my concern and has told me he is tested regulary and is negative. never thought i'd wonder about a kiss?!

Response from Dr. Aberg

Multiple studies have shown that women with HIV do not have recurrent vulvovaginal yeast infections more often than women without HIV. Thrush (yeast infections in the mouth) is more common in women with HIV. But women without HIV can develop thrush for reasons mentioned in my previous responses. I realize this is confusing, but the majority of women with vulvovaginal yeast infections do not have HIV.

You have given me no reason to suspect you have HIV. The fact that your HIV tests have all been negative and you have not had any risks subsequently, I would not get re-tested for HIV. Many women with recurrent vulvovaginal yeast infections have no known scientific explanation for the recurrence of these infections. Hopefully one day we will learn and be able to offer help with this recurring problem.

Previous
can i be infected
Next
if i continue same meds.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.