Women and HIVWomen and HIV

women specific infections

i have read several of your responses about yeast infections in women with HIV. i concern myself with this issue, because i have recurrent BV or yeast throughout a year or so, then it goes away, but only to return. i have had negative hiv tests (elisa HIV 1&2, and a p24 antigen..blood drive test). A total of 4 negative HIV tests(3 years ago). Since the negative tests my only risk is open mouth kissing (boring sex life, eh?), and i have been told by many that this is not a risk worhty of testing. I have also had normal paps, one just 2 months ago. my concern is that whenever i open a package of monistat the insert reminds me that women with chronic or recurrent infections should consider infection with HIV as being a possible cause. is there a correlation, or like some of your posts...is there not such a correlation? in your opinion, does a situation like mine need further investigation into the possibility of being HIV positive from kissing? the man i kissed is aware of my concern and has told me he is tested regulary and is negative. never thought i'd wonder about a kiss?!

Response from Dr. Aberg

Multiple studies have shown that women with HIV do not have recurrent vulvovaginal yeast infections more often than women without HIV. Thrush (yeast infections in the mouth) is more common in women with HIV. But women without HIV can develop thrush for reasons mentioned in my previous responses. I realize this is confusing, but the majority of women with vulvovaginal yeast infections do not have HIV.

You have given me no reason to suspect you have HIV. The fact that your HIV tests have all been negative and you have not had any risks subsequently, I would not get re-tested for HIV. Many women with recurrent vulvovaginal yeast infections have no known scientific explanation for the recurrence of these infections. Hopefully one day we will learn and be able to offer help with this recurring problem.

can i be infected
if i continue same meds.