Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Re: Birth Control Pills 8/23/00

I've been using oral contraceptives for a couple of years now and everything was fine until I started a combo of Sustiva and Combivir. Then I started to get periods every 21 days! My doctor has tried changing my birth control pills five times already, with no improvement. I cannot change my HIV therapy, as I'm highly treatment experienced, and this is a last ditch therapy for me. It works very well ( as far as suppression goes), although I too struggle with lipodystrophy, weight gain and loss of muscle tone. Is this effect on menstruation common or am I the only one? And what to do about it?

Response from Dr. Jackson

I am not aware either from the literature or from drug company information that Sustiva and Combivir has an effect on menstrual cycles, but that doesn't mean there might not be an effect.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

Could My Baby be HIV Positive
cd8 counts in children