The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

yeast infecton chronic
Jan 2, 2002

Every month for the past couple of years I have been treated for yeast infections . I am treated with diflucan and for than it clears up and than the systems return // any advice for what kind of dr to see to find out what is causing this

Response from Dr. Aberg

Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC) is quite troublesome. Sometimes women have an underlying condition such as chronic antibiotic use, steroids, diabetes but very often there is no underlying condition that we can find that predisposes someone to having these recurrent infections. Some women require intermittent therapy with diflucan (fluconazole) or a similar antifungal. If it occurs at the same time of your cycle, you may be able to "prevent" the infection by starting diflucan the day or 2 before the expected infection. If it is intermittent and unable to map out, then one typically takes the antifungal as soon as symptoms occur. There has been some success with boric acid douches to "adjust" the vaginal ph. Others have actually used topical gentian violet which is rather messy. I would recommend that you see an infectious disease specialist, a gynecologist or a women's health specialist that has experience dealing with this. Ask the nurse before you schedule your appointment to find out if the provider has experience with RVVC. Also, if you live near a large medical center, they usually have a help line that you can call and ask who the yeast infection specialists are.

can i be infected

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint