Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Confused, Scared, and Want Answers!!!

Dr Aberg, I have looked every where on the net and in printed publications and have yet to find the answer to a question I have about HIV transmission, is it possible that this can happen from one woman to another? I am asking because I am afraid and scared to even have sex! Please help me out here with a straight answer to this question. If it is possible as most things are possible, is it very likely? I mean is somthing you would feel free to say was a long shot? I know you get a lot of questions but please please answer this one.

Response from Dr. Aberg

I have answered this question previously on this web site. Although there are not many articles discussing transmission among women having sex with women, it has been reported. Part of the problem has been the lack of collection of this data by health departments and providers. Nevertheless, women can transmit HIV to one another and safer sex practices are recommended for everyone regardless of sexual preferences.

Padian
MS & other diseases