The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

wanting a negative baby
Feb 27, 2005

I will be geting married next year and my boyfriend and I want to have a baby. He knew that I was positve before we met 5 years ago and we have talked about a baby. My viral load is about 500 and my cd4 count is 500. I have never been on meds because of my good health. Could I have a healthy baby?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Fortunately, there are several things that you can do to optimize your chances of having a healthy, HIV negative baby. You should continue to try to keep yourself as healthy as possible and to seek regular HIV evaluation/care.

With your viral load and CD4 count, antiretroviral therapy would not ordinarily be recommended. However, antiretroviral therapy is generally recommended during pregnancy to keep viral load as low as possible and to protect the baby from acquiring the virus; the risk of transmitting the virus falls to under 1% when a mother's viral load is undetectable on therapy.

The U.S. Public Health Service Task Force recommendations for the use of antiretroviral agents during pregnancy (available on this web site under the Treatment Guidelines section) provides excellent information on mother-to-child transmission and how women can minimize their risks of transmitting the virus (including treatment with antiretrovirals). Once you have had a chance to look over the guidelines, you should discuss your plans for pregnancy and your options with your care provider.

overweight and HIV+
Steven's Johnson !!! please adv !!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint