The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

want a baby
Oct 20, 2004

i was diagnosed eight months ago and i have been on my meds and doing well. my v.r is 50 and t. cells are 278 my only question is that how do i go about getting pregnant. by husband is negative and i seriously want to have a baby.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Your question brings up the issues of how to have a baby while keeping yourself healthy, preventing HIV transmission to your husband, and preventing transmissio nto your baby.

Keeping yourself healthy is the first order of business. It sounds as if you have taken the first steps to optimize your health. I would recommend that you discuss your desire to have a baby with your HIV provider, so that he/she can work with you to continue to optimize your health.

Any unprotected sex carries the risk of transmitting the virus to your husband, even if your viral load is low. One option that you have for getting pregnant without exposing your husband would be artifical insemination. I would urge you to discuss this and other possibilities with an obstetrician.

Since you have a very low viral load on therapy, the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby is under 1%. You don't mention what medications you're on. Most HIV meds are felt to be safe for administration during pregnancy -- the only med that is not recommended is efavirenz (Sustiva). I would urge you to read the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Therapy During Pregnancy" (available on this web site in the Treatment Guidelines section) and discuss any medication changes with your care provider.

HIV and birth
worried about having signs

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint