Facial Wasting

Dear Doctors,

Thank you for this forum. It has helped to know that I am not the only one dealing with some of the topics covered. However, I have been checking in periodically to see if there are any updates or advice regarding Lipodystrophy and/or facial wasting. More often than not you don't have much to say other than research is being done, or there just aren't any answers. Also the amount of information varies from doctor to doctor. Could you refer questions to one of the other docs on the panel rather than just saying that you have no info? Or, would it be possible to consult with or add a plastic surgeon to your panel of experts so we can get some helpful advice on how to cope with this problem? I have a friend in NYC that says the "guru" of Lipodystrophy is practicing there in the city. PLEASE HELP. Thank you for all the work you are doing for us. Michael

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Michael,

I am not sure that the problem is a plastic surgical problem. It is a systemic one and very complicated. A study was just published, for example, looking at metformin treatment for lipodystrophy and there are a lot of questions about whether it might actually be harmful. It is not that we are not telling you or that somebody knows the answer, it is that nobody knows the answer! This is a really tough problem and rushing in may cause more harm than good. Bear with us -- we are trying as hard as we can to find the answer to this, there are many very bright people working on it.

Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

HMB supplement. Is it safe
GROWTH HORMONE AND HEIGHT