D4T once again...

Dear Dr.Dieterich,

I've been on ddi/d4t/efavirenz for about a year and a half. This is my first regimen. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to see the signs of lipodystrophy; wasting arms and legs (fortunately not yet face) and central obesity. Do you believe that d4t might be responsible for this? and if so would it be reasonable to replace ddi/d4t with combivir? What about anabolic steroids, resistance exercise and drug holidays? Any point in trying any of these?

I'm only 23 y.o. and watching these awful changes in my body terrifies me.

Thank you for your help

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Both D3T and DDI can cause these problems. If you are undetectable and not allergic to AZT or 3TC it could not hurt to try switching. The body changes take a long time to reverse and often never do, especially the facial ones! So it is good to be thinking about this before your face changes. Good luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

xenadrine???
How safe is xenadrine?