Weight-gaining injections

My friend's doctor has advised him to take some sort of subcutaneous injection that will help him to gain weight. These injections are supposed to be given once daily for three months, but he was not informed as to the specific medication proposed. All he was told is the injections are incredibly expensive, approximately 1000 dollars per injection. Can you possibly tell me what the medication could be, and if they can possibly help?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The schedule sounds like growth hormone, but the price is more like 1000 per week not per day. It does help some people with wasting, but there may be cheaper alternatives. Your friend needs to get the specifics from his MD and ask about any alternative treatments. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Help With Facial Wasting, Where?
Gynecomastia