Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ephedrine and Clenbuterol
Sep 7, 2000

Dear Doctors,

Can you tell me what Ephedrine and Clenbuterol does to the human body ?

I have heard that these medications are anabolic for muscle and catabolic for fat-mass.

Is this a good medication to combat muscle wasting and fat gaining ?

I've heard that it is bad for the heart, but i have a healthy heart, and i am only 25.

Thanks,

Jason

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

You ask a good question. We know more about what these medicines do to animal bodies (sheep, rats) than humans, it turns out. But we can say a few things that might help you.

These are adrenalin-like agents. They stimulate calories to be burnt, fat to be broken down, and (in animals, maybe less so in humans) some muscle to be gained. The effects in humans, in limited studies, have not been very impressive, however (only a couple of pounds of weight loss and minimal effects on muscle mass).Also, some studies have shown side-effects (tremulousness, nervousness, other adrenalin-type symptoms).

There are also adverse effects on blood pressure and perhaps other cardiovascular risk factors.

All in all, the studies have been disappointing. Drug companies in the U.S. have therefore pretty much given up on these agents, in their current forms.

If your main problem is muscle wasting, these are certainly not the best options available. For fat gain, there are also better established treatments.

All in all, it's hard to give an enthusiastic recommendation for these (unapproved) agents.

Good luck,

mh

Previous
I need some advice
Next
Dieting with HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.