Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fat malabsorption
Sep 7, 2000

Are there any treatments for fat malabsorption (other than hiv viral load reduction and increasing T-cells)?

It seems my diarrhea is associated with my intake of fat and insoluble fiber. A low fat diet, at least for me, has resulted in 25lbs weight loss.

I'm thin, 6'2, 165. Weight training and steroid/testosterone treatment are part of my routine.

Doctors have been unable to find any infections after two colonoscopies and many stool sample tests.

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

The treatment of fat malabsorption depends on the cause. But first you need to know if there really is fat malabsorption (not the same as diarrhea after a high fat diet). Has a doctor measured stool fat? If yes, and it was high, then we can discuss Rx. If not, then you need to look for other explanations and treatments.

Assuming you do have fat malabsorption, it could have any of several causes. Pancreatic insufficiency would lead to Rx with pancreatic enzymes. Infection would suggest antibiotics (though you have been worked up for this). Small intestine disorders would require more specific diagnosis and Rx. But it should be possible to identify the cause and then to make a Rx plan.

So the bottom line is, you need a specific diagnosis. If a diagnosis can be found, there usually will be a treatment that can help.

Good luck!

mh

Previous
Supplements to help testosterone level??
Next
Serostim (growth hormone) side effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.