fat malabsorption

Are there any treatments for fat malabsorption (other than hiv viral load reduction and increasing T-cells)?

It seems my diarrhea is associated with my intake of fat and insoluble fiber. A low fat diet, at least for me, has resulted in 25lbs weight loss.

I'm thin, 6'2, 165. Weight training and steroid/testosterone treatment are part of my routine.

Doctors have been unable to find any infections after two colonoscopies and many stool sample tests.

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

The treatment of fat malabsorption depends on the cause. But first you need to know if there really is fat malabsorption (not the same as diarrhea after a high fat diet). Has a doctor measured stool fat? If yes, and it was high, then we can discuss Rx. If not, then you need to look for other explanations and treatments.

Assuming you do have fat malabsorption, it could have any of several causes. Pancreatic insufficiency would lead to Rx with pancreatic enzymes. Infection would suggest antibiotics (though you have been worked up for this). Small intestine disorders would require more specific diagnosis and Rx. But it should be possible to identify the cause and then to make a Rx plan.

So the bottom line is, you need a specific diagnosis. If a diagnosis can be found, there usually will be a treatment that can help.

Good luck!

mh

Supplements to help testosterone level??
Serostim (growth hormone) side effects