Supplements to help testosterone level??

Dear Dr. Dieterich:

I am a 36 year old male and was diagnosed HIV positive almost two years ago. I take Combivir and Viramune and have been undetectable since about 8 weeks on the meds. Consequently, I am hesitant to change drugs. However, my testosterone level is in the low 300's after being on a 2.5 mg patch for over 6 months. I am now on a 5 mg patch but want to know if there are any supplements (non-prescription) which would stimulate production of testosterone. For my age, I think my testosterone level is way too low. I exercise regularly but feel pretty run down most of the time. I don't want to try injections yet due to the peaks and valleys as well as the possibility my body would stop producing testosterone in the presence of the injections. Thank you for your help.

Keith

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Keith,

Your testosterone is not low because of the drugs but because of HIV attacking your testes. Even if you are optimally treated, this still happens. I agree with you that testosterone in the 300's is too low for a 36 year old. You may want to try the gel form of testosterone, it was just approved this summer and gets good grades from my patients. It seems as effective as injection without the injection part. There does not seem to be any over the counter remedy for this problem. DTD

headaches and nausea.......HELP!
fat malabsorption