Wasting and eating all the time

I have been hiv positive for three years now. I am now becoming sick and starting on meds(even though I am allergic to most.) I have dropped 20 some pounds in 2 months. My problem is I eat all the time, and I still do not gain weight. My viral load is 132,000+ and my CD4 count is 218. What can I do to gain back weight. I also have been put on Ensure Plus. Also if you could tell what I could do better for my meds because as I mentioned earlier I am allergic to most of it. I am allergic to Sulfur and seem to have a lot of problems with meds to treat PCP,TB. Thank you for your help.

BSJ

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear BSJ,

The most important thing you can do would be to start taking HIV medications now! Sulfa allergies should not be a problem. While the viral level is that high, it is going to be difficult to gain weight. You should also ask your MD to check your testosterone level, because if it is low, supplementing it can help your weight. DTD

Shrunken testicles while on Testosterone replacement
Why so little interest in naltrexone?