Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how do you heal after been so ill.
Sep 12, 2001

Thank you for your time and compassion on this site.My Question is really where do you start to heal your body and rebuild it after devastating illness? I tested pos/aids April 2000,having tested neg each year prior.I was extremely ill and my Doctor kept telling me it was the HIV,but in Sept/Oct was diagnosied with advanced stage 4 NHL,given less than a 50/50 chance.I 've just finished two rounds of chemotherapy.Residual effects of my chemotherapy are some lung tissue damage from cytoxin/bleomycin and resolving neuropathy from Vincristine.But my Doctor isn't interested in advising me how to rebuild my life. I've been ill for almost 18 months.Can you suggest how to start with Nutrition,exercise program and supplements.I'm not American and find it sad that most Doctors here are not interseted in spending time with you to recover,I guess HMO's give no incentive for that part of care.Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You are correct that insurance does not pay for nutrition advice or help. It is something that should be changed.What you should do is see a dietician about eating healthy. You should start an exercise program of at least 30 minutes 3 times per week. Finally you should talk to your MD about your testosterone level and supplementation if it is required. DTD

Previous
What helps to rebuild CD4 counts
Next
Appetite enhancer for elderly woman on nerve pills?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.