Wasting + Trouble Gaining Weight

Dr Dieterich,

I am 40 years old and have been known that I am HIV+ for at least 14 years. I have had several opportunistic infections including CMV and many bouts of PCP. Everytime that I have had an opportunistic infection in the past I have lost weight but when I regained my health the weight returned completely. A year ago I was in the hospital for PCP and had not a bout since 1996 when protease inhibitors were introduced. The combination that I am currently taking is Sustive, Zerit and Videx. My question is I have not only been unable to regain my former weight level but I have also experienced wasting in my face, buttocks and legs. I have had surgery to correct my facial wasting but am very concerned about my continued weight loss. My doctor has said that the drugs do not have any correlation with wasting or weight loss. In your opinion is there anything that I can do to regain the weight and reverse the wasting? I appreciate your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You should ask your MD to check your blood levels of serum lactate. The new wasting syndrome is sometimes caused by mitochondrial toxicity of the nucleoside analogues. The two that you are taking, Zerit and Videx are particularly likely to cause this. Switching to different ones may keep it from getting worse not likely to make it better, though. You should also get your testosterone checked and if low supplemented and using anabolic agents like oxandrin may also help. Good luck!DTD

Wasting/weight anomoly
NewFill