HIV infection = allergies?

Can getting infected with HIV cause physiological changes in the body such that, allergies to certain types of foods emerge, where no such allergies existed before? HIV is an immunological phenomenon, and when I think about allergic reactions to foods (i.e. hives, etc.) as an immunological response, I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Response from Dr. Fisher

I agree with you that there does seem to be a connection. What many of us have noticed in our patients is a higher incidence of "allergic" reactions to drugs such as TMP-sulfa (bactrim/septra)than in non-HIVers. Allergies to foods may also be an issue but I am unaware of any definitive data. Allergies may also play a role in the increased problems many HIVers have with their siunuses. AF

CONSTIPATION
Facial Wasting