Rebuild muscle; control fat gain

I am 6', 157#s.I have always been thin, but I wasted to 127#s before being diagnosed as HIV+ in 1997. Taking Viracept and Combivir have lowered my viral load to undetectable and my T-cells have increased from 57 to around 400. All in all, the protease cocktail has proven to be a sort of rebirth for me. My doctor has successfully managed all of the side effects of the cocktail: diareah w/lomotil - poor appetite w/Megace - loss of sex drive w/Android and eratic sleep habits with Temazipam and Elavil. I feel generally quite well, and am grateful for the miracle of protease inhibitors and their associated helpers. The one thing that I can't seem to control is the development of breasts. (I am by the way, male and find no joy in having developed what many women would consider an envialbe rack!) That, and the accumulation of a sizable spare tire in the waist are my only disappointments with the treatment of the disease. Even my depression has been controled with Wellbutrin and Elavil. [Perhaps even more significant for the control of depression has been my partners selfless devotion to maintaining my health and humor. We have been together for 20 years. He is HIV-) Please suggest to me what kind of exercise will rebuild the muscle of my arms, chest and buttocks. I am, by the way, 51 years of age and have never been muscular, but have always been trim. A gym is out of the question, but exercise at home is viable. I have purchased a treadmill and resistance machines but they seem to have little effect on the waist or chest. Do you, or any of your correspondents have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The breasts and belly are likely due to Megace, which is a female hormone. Would stop that. I am not familiar with Android, but you should be taking a testosterone supplement and that will help with the breasts too. For building muscle mass, resistance exercise of any type is a good idea and if you really need more than testosterone, an oral anabolic like oxandrolone can help increase muscle mass! DTD

Pantethine for lowering cholesterol
definition of wasting and lipodystrophy