Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rebuild muscle; control fat gain
Aug 10, 2001

I am 6', 157#s.I have always been thin, but I wasted to 127#s before being diagnosed as HIV+ in 1997. Taking Viracept and Combivir have lowered my viral load to undetectable and my T-cells have increased from 57 to around 400. All in all, the protease cocktail has proven to be a sort of rebirth for me. My doctor has successfully managed all of the side effects of the cocktail: diareah w/lomotil - poor appetite w/Megace - loss of sex drive w/Android and eratic sleep habits with Temazipam and Elavil. I feel generally quite well, and am grateful for the miracle of protease inhibitors and their associated helpers. The one thing that I can't seem to control is the development of breasts. (I am by the way, male and find no joy in having developed what many women would consider an envialbe rack!) That, and the accumulation of a sizable spare tire in the waist are my only disappointments with the treatment of the disease. Even my depression has been controled with Wellbutrin and Elavil. [Perhaps even more significant for the control of depression has been my partners selfless devotion to maintaining my health and humor. We have been together for 20 years. He is HIV-) Please suggest to me what kind of exercise will rebuild the muscle of my arms, chest and buttocks. I am, by the way, 51 years of age and have never been muscular, but have always been trim. A gym is out of the question, but exercise at home is viable. I have purchased a treadmill and resistance machines but they seem to have little effect on the waist or chest. Do you, or any of your correspondents have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The breasts and belly are likely due to Megace, which is a female hormone. Would stop that. I am not familiar with Android, but you should be taking a testosterone supplement and that will help with the breasts too. For building muscle mass, resistance exercise of any type is a good idea and if you really need more than testosterone, an oral anabolic like oxandrolone can help increase muscle mass! DTD

Previous
Pantethine for lowering cholesterol
Next
definition of wasting and lipodystrophy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.