Are whey protein supplements safe?

I am 16 and I lift weights and I want to take Whey Protein supplements but my parents want to know if it is safe? What do you think?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Whey protein has been recommended primarily for weight gain, in HIV disease, and in cancer. The safety issues are generally those associated with milk protein allergy and excessive protein in protein-sensitive conditions (like kidney or liver disease).

For weight training without any disease, protein from your regular diet that includes dairy products is more recommended. Though not considered "toxic" in moderate doses, long-term high protein intake is generally not recommended.

You can have your protein intake evaluated by a sports-specialist dietitian to see what fits into a healthy range that supports the goals you have for weight lifting. If you need to finds a qualified sports nutritionist to talk to, call the American Dietetic Association at 800-877-1600 and ask for the name and phone number of a sports nutrition specialist.

Supplements
Pantethine for lowering cholesterol