|need help, just infected
Aug 7, 2001
I'm currently feeling really depressed about life and would appreciate your help.
I'm 99 sure i'm infected with hiv.
Why am i so sure? Baecause of the following symptons: 1. Sore throat after 2 - 3 weeks which lasted for approx. 2 - 3 weeks, but quite mild 2. White tongue and dry mouth after 3 weeks, persistant, but getting better 3. One case of diarrhea after four weeks 4. Fever (approx. 37.5C, but definite 'chills' and feeling weak) after almost 6 weeks 5. Feeling sick, especially when food's in front of me (after almost 6 weeks) 6. Some joint pain in my left hand after 6 weeks Pretty conclusive?
Exposure: the 'supposedly' safe sex act of receiving oral sex just over six weeks ago. Partner of unknown status, but high risk
I was tested -ve after 1 month (as expected).
I'd now really appreciate your help during this difficult period. My questions are:
1. What's my life expectancy with hiv, if i'm good with the meds?
2. Do people normally cope ok with the meds? do they carry on working? how much will exercise help?
3. will i definitely develop aids?
4. Based on your experience, would you agree with my diagnosis? is another illness more likely? can mono be spread by oral sex? can stress cause a fever?
5. Should i insist on an RNA test now? will an earlier diagnosis increase my life expectancy?
6. Will i be provided with emotional support by the doctors etc? i need it!
Please answer, and sorry for all the questions.
Response from Dr. Fisher
Go to an expert MD ASAP. If you have recently been infected you may benefit from early treatment. Most large cities have programs/studies for such situations. I cannot answer all of your questions here (this is the forum on wasting).AF
Diarrhea and oral thrush
Silicone or New-Fill
- Is A Venereal Disease The Same As An Std?
- Stds And Red Bumps
- Symptoms Of This Std In Men Can Cause Epididymitis And Can Also Spread To The Blood Or Joints
- Chances Of Getting Aids If Doesnt Cum Inside
- Cut In Mouth Drinking Out Of Someone's Glass HIV Risk
- Do Legs And Feet Remain Swollen After Ks Is Treated?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.