Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

need help, just infected
Aug 7, 2001

Hi,

I'm currently feeling really depressed about life and would appreciate your help.

I'm 99 sure i'm infected with hiv.

Why am i so sure? Baecause of the following symptons: 1. Sore throat after 2 - 3 weeks which lasted for approx. 2 - 3 weeks, but quite mild 2. White tongue and dry mouth after 3 weeks, persistant, but getting better 3. One case of diarrhea after four weeks 4. Fever (approx. 37.5C, but definite 'chills' and feeling weak) after almost 6 weeks 5. Feeling sick, especially when food's in front of me (after almost 6 weeks) 6. Some joint pain in my left hand after 6 weeks Pretty conclusive?

Exposure: the 'supposedly' safe sex act of receiving oral sex just over six weeks ago. Partner of unknown status, but high risk

I was tested -ve after 1 month (as expected).

I'd now really appreciate your help during this difficult period. My questions are:

1. What's my life expectancy with hiv, if i'm good with the meds?

2. Do people normally cope ok with the meds? do they carry on working? how much will exercise help?

3. will i definitely develop aids?

4. Based on your experience, would you agree with my diagnosis? is another illness more likely? can mono be spread by oral sex? can stress cause a fever?

5. Should i insist on an RNA test now? will an earlier diagnosis increase my life expectancy?

6. Will i be provided with emotional support by the doctors etc? i need it!

Please answer, and sorry for all the questions.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Go to an expert MD ASAP. If you have recently been infected you may benefit from early treatment. Most large cities have programs/studies for such situations. I cannot answer all of your questions here (this is the forum on wasting).AF

Previous
Diarrhea and oral thrush
Next
Silicone or New-Fill

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.