Genotropin Vs Serostim

Hi Doctors,

I'm HIV+ since 11/98 and not on meds at this time. My VL and CD4 have been checked every 2 months and have remained consistantly at about VL 35,000 and CD4 480. Since I've been stable, I'm still deciding when to start meds. I am using the 5mg Testoderm TTS patch (it's working wonders)and one of my Drs. has suggested using Genotropin (somatropin [rDNA origin] for injection from Pharmacia & Upjohn). He's done some hormone tests and thinks it will help improve my overall well-being and the things I've been complaining about(energy, drive, strength...) as well as help with my new body-building goals. Is Genotropin the same thing as Serostim. I read the Serostim package insert from the mfgr's website (seronousa.com)and it has the same generic description as Genotropin but I never see Genotropin mentioned on any of the HIV sites I visit. Also and most importantly, since I'm not taking meds, should I avoid using either Serostim or Genotropin because of the possibility of stimulating virus growth? Are there other growth agents you would suggest (that won't turn me into "raging vein popping" person) to help with reduction of fat and development of lean muscle? Thanks for your imput.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Genotropin is P-and-U's version of human growth hormone. It is presumably the same as any other version (including serostim), but there might be subtle diffences. And the dosages may not be the same. I don't know of any credible reports that GH stimulates viral growth (but I may have missed something). The anabolic steroids...oxandrolone, nandrolone, oxymetholone will help with lean muscle acquisition. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Weight loss of over 50 pounds in one year
weight loss