Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Ketotifen for wasting

I was wondering if you have any current information about Ketotifen, an antihistamine widely used in Europe. It was a best-selling item in the New York buyers' clubs for wasting. I read about a small German study suggesting decreased levels of TNF-alfa and a six-pound weight gain in HIV-infected patients with wasting during the 12-week treatment period. Has this study been updated?? Is this drug still being used? Would you recommend it?

Thanks! Carl

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Carl, I have not seen any updates on that study. Generally I am not enamored of TNF inhibitors. If your TNF level is high, then you need to treat the HIV better. If you are wasting, then you need to replace testosterone and/or use anabolics. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

DHEA
Am I doing enuogh to treat wasting??