For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

weight loss during ARS

Dear Dr.

What causes weight loss durig HIV acute retroviral syndrome, and is it just fat that is lost or muscle too? Also is there an average amount of lbs that are lost? DOes the lost weight come back quickly or does it take time?

Thanks Ron

Response from Dr. Fisher

This is tough because we do not regularly see pts with I'm not sure I can answer your questions. However people do recover from ARS with regain of lost weight. Your specific questions vary from individual to individual. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Loss of weight
Final stages of AIDS