Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Weight loss/plastic surgery/exercise
May 26, 1999

I really would like to know if anyone is studying about the weight loss in face with people on the triple cocktail-if surgery is done-insurance companies tend not to cover you-or is there a loop hole? How you look really affects how you feel even if you are doing good otherwise. And last, if you are tired most of the time, what kind of exercise can we hiv'ers do-really have a hardtime with these issues but wouldn't write this if I really didn't care. Thank you for this great direct forum you have available.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Plastic surgery is usually not covered if done for cosmetic reasons...facial wasting may be considered a treatment complication and might be covered, but depends on individual circumstances. I agree that how you look affects how you feel, but as of now I don't know of anything that can specifically help the facial wasting. Research is being done on lipodystrophy in general. Best exercise is progressive resistance for muscle building...this will help (slowly) with your energy level. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Previous
How can I get mor fat in my face?
Next
Improving facial appearence.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.