Noticeable fat loss in my cheeks and legs

I've been taking D4T, 3TC and Acyclovir for 2 1/2 years. My viral load is low, under 500, and my T-cells are OK at around 500. However, I'm experiencing noticeable fat loss in my cheeks and legs. I don't appear to be gaining fat in my neck or abdomen. My dietician advised me to liberalize my diet with more unsaturated fats, because I've been on a realtively low-fat diet. I'm wondering why I'm experiencing the fat loss, since I'm not on protease, and what I can do to combat it.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Some fat loss and fat accumulation has been seen in people not taking PI's...though usually seen with the PI's. I agree with your dietician's approach but doubt you can direct fat to re-accumulate in your face where you want it. Indeed I am unaware of anything you can do specifically to deal with this problem (short of plastic surgery). Alvan Fisher, M.D.

skinny legs and my veins
Facial Wasting - Viramune vs. Crixivan