fat displacement?

I am a woman living with AIDS. Two years ago I was forty pounds underweight and dying. I am now 20 pounds overweight. My butt is gone, it has migrated to the front of my body!!! If one more doctor tells me this is not connected to the drugs and that I should change my diet I will scream. Please let me know of some solutions. All the articles I come across explain what it is, not what to do about it. HELP!!!

Response from Dr. Fisher

Unfortunately we really don't know what to do about this. I believe this is indeed mostly due to the drugs, namely the protease inhibitors. Possible suggestions include exercise (build up those muscles), switching treatment regimens (please discuss with your MD...this is not smart for everyone), anabolic agents (growth hormone, oxandrolone). Also remember that a few years ago we did not have effective treatment for HIV at all; now we have much more effective treatment but have to contend with complications of the treatments. I prefer these new problems to the old ones. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

wasting vs. lipodystrophy
skinny legs and my veins